Italian Bread Manufacturer
Joseph Campione – Oak Creek, WI
This complex, fast tracked processing plant expansion consisted of the design and construction of nearly 120,000 square foot bakery, food-processing hygienic rooms, freezer, refrigerated dock, and administrative offices at their Oak Creek, Wisconsin facility. The client produces several varieties of Old World European style Italian breads.
- Dry storage and production areas 40,204 square feet
- Cooler, freezer, dry dock of 27,858 square feet
- Oven bakery area of 22,843 square feet
- 1st and 2nd floor offices 17,605 square feet
- Mezzanine 11,252 square feet
- Refrigeration system is central ammonia
- Re-circulated glycol under-floor warming system
- TPO roofing system mechanically attached
- The wall construction is 4” and 5″ thick insulated wall panels, with stainless steel panels in the production areas.
- Combination of wet system in dry storage/cooler areas and dry pre-action fire protection system in freezer.
ESI Group was brought in to take over an existing design-build contract, some of the challenges were construction would be starting in fall and site work would continue through the Wisconsin winter. Access to the site was limited to one side of the project and there was no space for parking or lay-down areas.
The design, which the Owner had paid eighty percent, was only fifty-percent complete on average. Coupled with re-design and value engineering required to reduce project costs 5.5%, the available construction duration for the first phase was reduced to two months, which would require creative sourcing and sequencing of operations.
The biggest challenge, however, was not any of the technical solutions. ESI Group would have to repair fractured relationships while injecting a stale project with the energy and the leadership to move forward. The Campione Family now has the World Class food processing facility that exemplifies their passion for Italian breads.