US Foods, Rosemont, Ill., tapped ESI Group USA, Hartland, Wis., to design and construct an 85,000-square-foot expansion and renovation to an existing food distribution center in Fort Mill, S.C.
The facility, which is the second largest US Foods plant, will stand at a total of 512,436 square feet upon completion.
Additional features include:
- Expanded the existing ammonia refrigeration system
- New racks, some areas re-racked
- Remodeled Culinary Innovation Center/Product Demo Kitchen
- Insulated metal panels in warehouse areas
- LED lighting fixtures throughout the warehouse areas
- 32,400-sq-ft cooler addition
- 43,200-sq-ft dry warehouse addition
- 10,500-sq-ft addition for material handling equipment support
What’s also unique about this facility is that it underwent commissioning even though it’s not pursuing LEED certification. As of press time, the commissioning process identified 146 issues impacting the function and performance of the facility, with 140 issues fully resolved prior to completion. The commissioning team completed and documented 34 pieces of equipment and 14 functional performance tests under the direction and review of the commissioning authority.
The 18-month, multi-phase facility expansion was performed while the facility was in full operation. View project details here.
Join our eNewsletter
Get industry trends and insights for food facility design and construction quarterly.